A few tips for a smooth move.
Book the movers
- You can choose to have movers pack everything in the home, just the breakables – or, pack yourself. If you decide on movers, it’s a good idea to get estimates from a few reputable companies.
If you own your current home
- Arrange to have your gas and electric meters read on the day you leave, and have the bill forwarded to your new address.
- Have the oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional (if required).
- If your water heater and/or furnace are rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your phone, cable, and water softener.
If you rent your current home
- Give the necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any money you have on deposit.
At your new home
- Make arrangements for gas, electric utilities, water softener, phone, and cable to be connected on the possession date.
- Get change of address cards from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pickup, newspapers, magazines and other home services. Arrange for these services at your new address.
- Cancel or transfer any social, athletic, civic, religious, or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer or medical, dental, prescription, and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver’s license, effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair, or storage.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for moving your pets.
- Safely dispose of all flammable liquids, as it is illegal for movers to carry them.